Floods can be a nightmare for many homes particularly when it comes to damages. They disrupt, damage and isolate communities and households. If you live in a flood zone area, the chances are that you have been taught important flood management tips.
If you live around Saint Charles, MO, you can purchase flood insurance as early as possible to help you stay financially protected in case the worst happens.
At Nieroda Insurance Agency, we always recommend having home insurance, umbrella insurance, and flood insurance. Here are a few tips to keep in mind while managing and recovering from floods:
- If you are not home, wait for the emergency services to announce whether the place is all clear before entering the affected zones.
- If your home is affected, contact your insurance provider the earliest possible to help hasten the claim process. Do not enter the affected home until cleared by the authorities.
- If the home is unlivable, take what you can with you and vacate till it is safe. Make sure your electricity and gas supplies are turned off, all taps are closed, and lights out
- Never use cigarette lighters, matches or any form of naked flame, and wear leather, or rubber gloves and shoes to protect your skin from the contaminated floodwater.
- If you have pets, find them and take them to a safe place.
- Encourage your family and loved ones or anyone who was present during the incident to talk it out with neighbors and friends.
- Get and only rely on information provided by the authorities.
We cannot always prevent the damage that floods can cause, but we can always manage to stay informed and be safe. For all your insurance needs contact Nieroda Insurance Agency serving Saint Charles, MO.