Myths about Condo Insurance

The Truth about Condo Insurance

Once you own a condo in Saint Charles, MO, it’s time to shop for condo insurance from an agent at Nieroda Insurance Agency. Don’t let these common myths fool you into not getting the right coverage.

Myth 1: My condo association already has insurance, so I don’t need it.

The insurance coverage from your condo’s master policy won’t protect you or your belongings. This coverage only applies to damage to the building and common areas. Every condo owner should have insurance to protect what is inside the unit.

Myth 2: Condo insurance only protects your belongings.

Condo insurance coverage will do more than just protect your belongings. Just like homeowners insurance, condo insurance comes with some liability coverage. Some policies will even cover additional costs to improvements you made in the unit, additional living expenses if you can’t live in your unit, and additional protection to cover you if your condo association doesn’t have adequate coverage.

Myth 3: Condo insurance will cover everything in the unit.

There is usually a limit on condo insurance policies for things like jewelry, watches, fur, or gems. If your jewelry and other special items are worth more than the limit, you will want to purchase additional coverage.

Myth 4: Condo insurance covers water damage.

Condo insurance likely won’t cover damage caused by sewer backups or overflowing water from rain or spring runoff. It’s a good idea to check with your policy, so you know what is covered.

Myth 5: If I rent my condo, my coverage will cover my tenants’ belongings.

Your rented condo insurance won’t extend to your tenants or their belongings. They will need their own renter’s insurance policy to cover their belongings and liability claims.

Contact Nieroda Insurance Agency, serving Saint Charles, MO, to get a quote on condo insurance.

Life Insurance: Is It Really Necessary for Your Situation?

Do you need life insurance?

A lot of people need it but don’t have it. Others have it, but they may not need it. Like other forms of insurance protection, there are many options for how much coverage to get and what type of policy you should have. The Nieroda Insurance Agency serves the Saint Charles, MO area, and can advise you on the kinds of life insurance policies available. Then you can work with an agent to choose the policy that’s best for you, and decide what level of coverage you need and want to have.

With life insurance comes peace of mind, for you and your family. That allows you to be protected, and helps to make sure your family will also be protected if something should happen to you. Especially if you’re the main supporter of the household, having life insurance can make a difficult situation a little bit easier. But there are some cases where it may not be necessary, or where a high level of coverage isn’t practical. In those cases, it’s better to have options and to be an informed consumer so you can make the right choice for your needs.

Reach out to us at the Nieroda Insurance Agency today, and let us help you find the policy that’s going to be the right choice. We proudly serve all of the Saint Charles, MO area, and have helped many customers just like you get the policy that fits their situation and needs. Contact our offices to speak with an agent and learn more about the benefits of a life insurance policy as well as the options we provide. We can help you get a quote and walk you through the life insurance process.

Is Your Business Owners Policy Enough?

Concerned your Business Owners Policy might not provide you with the coverage you need? At Nieroda Insurance Agency in Saint Charles, MO, we can help you make sure you have the policy that will meet those needs.


Generally, a Business Owners Policy is very inclusive. It is typically the right fit for many businesses. However, even these inclusive policies have exclusions. It’s important to go over the coverage, carefully, with your agent to make sure there are no surprises down the road.

You don’t want to have an incident later on, or a loss, and find out your insurance doesn’t cover that type of incident or loss.


Some of the exclusions in Business Owners Policies include:

  • Commercial Fleet Insurance: You’ll need a separate policy to cover your fleet of vehicles. These are expensive assets, so it’s important to know they won’t be covered. Other vehicles the business owns may not be included either, so make sure to check. Ask your agent what additional coverage you’ll need.
  • Mechanical Equipment Breakdown Insurance: This insurance, which covers the repair or replacement of equipment and some revenue loss, is typically not included.
  • Disaster Coverage: Make sure to see if your Business Owners Policy covers natural disasters. See if debris removal or flood insurance is included, and what the limits are. These may be additional policies you’ll want to add.

Make sure to read the fine print on your commercial insurance policy. Business Owner Policies work well for many types of small businesses, but it is important to understand what they cover, and what they don’t. If you have questions about your policy or are considering adding to your coverage, contact us at Nieroda Insurance Agency in Saint Charles, MO. We can help!

Why Do I Need Motorcycle Insurance?

You may only ride your motorcycle to enjoy the beautiful weather in St. Louis or Saint Charles, MO, or even to take the occasional weekend trip throughout the countryside. The motorcycle may not be your primary mode of transportation, and you may wonder if you need insurance. The friendly professional agents at Nieroda Insurance Agency can assure you of the necessity of motorcycle insurance and help you choose the right coverage.  

Motorcycle Insurance Helps Protect You as the Rider and Your Bike

Even the most vigilant motorcycle drivers can be hurt in an accident, and motorcycle insurance can help with medical bills. Insurance would help cover bills even if the accident did not involve another vehicle. Bikes can be damaged during accidents just like any other vehicle on the road, and this property damage can be covered by an insurance policy. Similar to car insurance, this type of insurance protects against theft and vandalism as well as small dents and other damage that may occur.

Motorcycle Insurance Helps Protect You When Others are Injured

Liability insurance on your motorcycle will help cover you if others are injured as a result of an accident. In most accidents, it is the bike and the rider who are hurt because they are more exposed than passengers in other vehicles. However, if a motorcyclists were to hit a person walking on the street, there could be quite significant liability charges. This insurance would help pay those charges. If you cause an accident and there is damage to the other vehicle or someone’s property, liability insurance will help with those bills as well.

Do You Need Comprehensive or Total Loss Coverage?

Comprehensive coverage is complete protection and can help replace the motorcycle if it is totaled. The value of your motorcycle will be determined by a Nieroda Insurance Agency specialist much like the value of a car would be determined using the blue book value. For owners of classic or custom motorcycles, there are policies which will give you a stated value of the bike instead of actual cash value.

Motorcycle insurance is mandatory in most states and Nieroda Insurance Agency in Saint Charles, MO can help owners determine the level of coverage they need. Reach out to our offices to speak with an agent and get a quote.

Boat Insurance: What You Need to Know When Buying Your First Policy

Spring is just around the corner and this means that people who love boating are starting to think about getting on the water. If you have just purchased your first boat, Nieroda Insurance Agency, serving the greater St. Louis, MO area, wants to make sure you know key information that will help you understand boat insurance. Here are a few things that you should know when buying your first boat insurance policy. 

What Boat Insurance Covers

Standard boat insurance typically covers physical damage to your boat should you get into a boating accident, cause property damage, or bodily injury. You can also purchase comprehensive boat coverage that would cover you if your boat is stolen, catches on fire, floods, or is vandalized. Personal property insurance may also be purchased to cover any extra items that may be inside the boat, such as fishing gear or sound systems. 

Where Your Boat is and Isn’t Covered

When you are buying boat insurance, it is important that you understand where your boat is and is not covered. Some policies restrict where you can take your boat based on the size of the boat and safety concerns. Always read what waterways your boat is covered in and which are restricted. 

What it Means to Lay Up Your Boat Insurance

Lastly, you should know what it means to lay up your boat insurance. If you store your boat in a storage facility or your garage, you may have the option of laying up the boat insurance. This means that your boat is not covered on waterways while in storage. This can save you money but you need to ensure you don’t forget the insurance is laid up and then try to use your boat, or you will be without coverage. 

If you are looking to purchase a boat insurance policy in the greater St Louis, MO area, turn to Nieroda Insurance Agency. Give us a call today to get started. 

What all does renters insurance cover?

Unless your landlord pointed it out in your lease, you might not realize that you need renters insurance in Saint Charles, MO to cover your personal items in the event of a loss such as a fire or theft. At Nieroda Insurance Agency, we want to help you learn your rights and what you need to do to protect yourself in case of misfortune.

A regular homeowners insurance policy will cover the physical property and the belongings of the owner. However, when the owner rents the property, the renters are responsible for insuring all of their items. Your losses will be covered whether it was because of loss, theft, or vandalism.

Your personal possessions include your clothing, furniture, kitchenware, bedding, and other items which you keep in your home. You will also want to make sure you have enough coverage for your electronics, including your television, stereo, computer, or any other valuable items.

Your renter’s insurance may also cover your expenses if you have to find alternate living arrangements during a fire or other unfortunate circumstance, and will protect you if someone is injured on your party and sues you for negligence.

Certain kinds of valuables may not be covered, such as jewelry or other kinds of collectibles. In those cases, you can add coverage specifically for those items.

Fortunately, renters insurance is usually not very expensive. The limits do not normally need to be as high for homeowner’s policies because the policy does not need to cover the building or structure. You will probably, however, have a deductible. 

Contact us

If you are interested in obtaining a renters insurance policy in Saint Charles, MO, contact Nieroda Insurance Agency at any time to explore your various options. Our agents can help you get started. 

Is flood insurance necessary if I do not live in a flood zone?

We all know the tragedy that can come from horrific flooding. We see the videos on the news and the photographs online of the damage caused by torrential downpours or subsiding storm surges from hurricanes. Thankfully, the people who live in those areas are usually aware of the dangers flooding can cause. Some people who purchase homes in flood-prone areas are even required to purchase flood insurance before they are approved for a mortgage. But what about the people who do not live in a flood zone? Are they safe enough to live without flood insurance?

The truth of the matter is that floods can happen anywhere and at any time. While those that live in flood zones or floodplain areas are more likely to experience a flood, there is still a chance that any home could flood. In fact, almost 25% of all flood insurance claims happen in areas that are outside of a floodplain. Further, most of these claims that exist outside of the flood plain are in areas that are declared a medium or even low risk for flooding. Just because you may live outside of an area that is prone to flooding does not necessarily mean that you are safe from the dangers and damages that come with flooding.

If you would like to learn more about how flood damage may be able to help protect you and your loved ones reach out to the experts at Nieroda Insurance Agency. Proudly serving those in St. Louis and Saint Charles, MO, Nieroda Insurance Agency is available to help answer any questions you may have. For years the residents of St. Louis and Saint Charles, MO have turned to the best to update their existing insurance policies or to start a new policy. Feel free to call today and our team can get you started in the right direction to protect your family and give you peace of mind when it comes to flooding.

How much condo insurance do you need?

The agents of Nieroda Insurance Agency in St. Charles, MO offer a comprehensive array of insurance policies for condo and homeowners. Missouri residents who own condos can call the agency to get the information they need to make an informed decision when it comes to purchasing condo insurance. Condo insurance is slightly different than a homeowner’s policy and the two shouldn’t be confused with one another.

Protect Your Possessions

Condo insurance is written to protect your possessions. A complete list of the items you have in your home, supported by a video inventory, can be a great tool when recovering from a devastating event like a fire or burglary. When purchasing condo insurance, it’s important to know the estimated value of your possessions. This will include any depreciation costs due to their age and how much it would cost to replace them if they were damaged, broken, or stolen.

The Interior of Your Structure

A homeowner’s policy covers the entire structure of your home. Condo insurance on the other hand only covers the interior of the structure. While you technically "own" your home, you don’t own the structure that it’s a part of. If a fire or other structural damage occurs, you are only responsible for making the repairs to your individual living area. The owner of the condo complex would be responsible for all of the repairs on the outside of the building.

Residents of St. Louis, St. Charles, MO, and surrounding communities are encouraged to call the agents of Nieroda Insurance Agency to have their insurance coverage evaluated. This will ensure that the right policy has been purchased and there is sufficient coverage to protect your home and possessions.

What Does Basic Health Insurnace Cover?

Basic Health Insurance with Nieroda Insurance Agency

Your health is something that is incredibly important. With that being said, it is also essential to have some health insurance in place to help make sure that you can maintain your health and pay for the services that you need to be safe and healthy.

Basic health insurance is currently required by the federal government and your basic policy may cover more than you think. In most cases, health insurance is there to support you should you have to have a major procedure done without having to pay the full amount out of pocket. It is also there to help give you preventative measures so that you do not get sick and so that you can continue to live a healthy life.

Your basic policy, first and foremost, covers preventative care. This means things like a yearly physical, flu shots, vaccinations, and other basic services that are aimed at keeping you healthy so that you never have to use the more substantial portion of your policy. Your basic policy from Nieroda Insurance Agency in Saint Charles, MO also covers a portion of services that can be discussed with your insurance agent.

This means that if you get a surgery that your insurance has approved, they will pay a percentage of the remaining bill after you have met what is called the deductible, or the out of pocket expense, which has been assigned to the policy. This means that if you have a $15,000 surgery and your deductible is $2,000, anything after the $2,000 out of pocket your insurance will cover. Some policies also include things like medications and prescriptions as well as some test procedures.

You can talk with an agent at Nieroda Insurance Agency in Saint Charles, MO to find out more about what a basic policy covers and what type of coverage you will need.  

My House is Paid Off and the Kids Moved Out. Do I Still Need Life Insurance?

If you have ever bought life insurance, you probably did so to ensure your spouse and children would be able to meet their financial obligations in the event of your early death. This protection is what life insurance was designed to do. However, what happens when your children grow up and move out of the house? Your Nieroda Insurance Agency representative can help you answer these and other questions about your existing or new life insurance policy in Saint Charles, MO.

How Long Do I Need to Keep My Life Insurance Policy?

Even after your children grow up and move out of your home in Saint Charles, MO, you may still have a substantial mortgage. At a minimum, you should consider keeping enough life insurance to cover your mortgage so that your spouse will be able to remain in the home after your death. So, what about after the mortgage is paid off? How much life insurance should you keep then?

This depends on how dependent your survivors are on your current income. Student loan debt, home repairs, and a thousand other expenses can crop up. Consult with your family and your Nieroda Insurance Agency representative before decided to lower or drop your life insurance.

How Much Life Insurance do I Need?

Even after you decide to keep your life insurance policy, you have to determine how much coverage you need under your changed circumstances. First, calculate how much income your dependents will require if you die. Upon your death, your beneficiaries get a lump sum and have to determine how best to use the money.

Contact Us

Contact us online or call your Nieroda Insurance Agency representative today for information on all your life insurance needs.